Our Personalized Process
Our Wise Method of Educational Planning
We at McMillan Education are steeped in the belief that a healthy, enriching and successful educational planning process involves personal reflection, meaningful experiential engagement, and quality task completion every step of the way. So our faithful mascot inspired us to create the WISE Method of Educational Planning, where your personalized search with traverse each of the following phases to reach your best fit educational environment::
School Planning Phases: Wonder, Initiate, Schedule, Execute
College Planning Phases: Wonder, Investigate, Seek, Endeavor
Before the First Meeting: Your Background & Our Online Tools
- We understand that you have your own values, needs and goals. And we have the unique methodology and right educational tools, resources, and counselors to guide you to fulfill them. To start, we take the time to learn about your family and child, then make the best counselor match to partner with you on your journey.
- Our onboarding process is comprehensive. We get to know you and your child as well as possible in advance of the initial meeting by gathering any and all information you can provide us — grades, testing, other records — to help us help you. Then we get you registered on our interactive online platform we call The Owl’s Nest, where the advanced technological tools that will support and facilitate our work together live.
Initial Consultation: Getting to Know You & Planning Forward
- The goal of our in-depth first meeting is to learn about the nuances of your child’s personality and passions.
- Generally, we spend time with your whole family, as well as individual time with both your child and you the parents.
- The initial meeting results in us pulling together the facets of the student profile that will inform a highly Personalized Educational Plan, which is our launchpad for the meaningful step-by-step action that will align our deepening knowledge of the student’s unique qualities with the calendared tasks designed to culminate in the realization of his or her best fit goals.
Execution of the Educational Plan: Our WISE Method
- We continue to get to know you better throughout the process, strengthening our execution of your personalized plan in our formal meetings and informal touch points that cover every element involved in developing your profile and refining and evaluating your list of schools, colleges and programs along our shared journey.
- We utilize the most interactive and cutting edge technology in the educational consulting field in the form of our online interactive platform, The Owl’s Nest, in which we break your planning journey into four distinctive phases we call our WISE Method of Educational Planning. Each letter in the acronym WISE aligns with the reflective exercises and meaningful action we guide you through to ensure a purposeful and successful search process.
- On a practical level, The Owl’s Nest is where you interact with your counselor-guided personal task assignments, planning calendar, rich resources and timely correspondences to keep you seamlessly informed, facilitate your assessment of schools and colleges, and ensure you execute a high quality application process with less stress and greater confidence.
- Our relational style means we develop an ongoing dialogue with you, staying in contact in between scheduled meetings through phone calls, texting, FaceTime, Zoom, and chatting on our interactive online platform, The Owl’s Nest.
- You’ll receive notifications of focused news and correspondences posted in The Owl’s Nest regularly throughout the process that highlight timely events related to testing, course planning, campus visits, and other key events in the planning process.
- We offer you the full support of our team by sharing notes, expertise, essay reviews, and school or college lists at regular staff and supervisory meetings.
Creating Your Special Narrative: Application and Essay Guidance
- Often the most time-intensive portion of the entire process revolves around completion of applications that tap into your special qualities effectively and present you the candidate in the best possible light.
- As former writing teachers who know how to “coach” writers to present their distinctive narrative “voice,” we guide you through the essay process by providing extensive feedback over the course of multiple essay drafts of what is often dozens of essays.
- We counsel students to get the most out of presenting their extracurricular activities by optimizing the format of particular applications.
Decision Time: Final Choice Selection
- Our goal is for you to have a range of choices.
- We counsel you on how to best evaluate your choices.
- We advise you on navigating waitlists.
- We follow you right through to the point where you make your final decision and land in a setting where you will thrive.